Any advice before I start building new grill frames for my recently acquired M19s? I plan to use 1"x1.5" clear pine (no knots).
Any advice before I start building new grill frames for my recently acquired M19s? I plan to use 1"x1.5" clear pine (no knots).
I think I used particle board or MDF when I was repairing the grills on one of my pairs of 19s. If you have the original grilles to use as a template it's easiest to just copy them instead of trying to reinvent the wheel. Whatever material you use remember to spray paint them black if you're going to use black fabric for the walnut cabinets. Or try and color match the brown fabric the best you can if you're using brown fabric for the oak cabinets. You don't want to see the frames through the fabric.
Here is a link to the original fasteners Altec used if you're missing some.
ROUND DUAL LOCK FASTENERS - 3/16 HOLE - DLCparts.com - DLC Parts -
Good luck on your project. The Altec 19 are awesome.
Tim
May be of some help: New Altec 19 grills | Audiokarma Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums
Grille Cloth Installation
GM
Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.
Thanks for the advice, I'll take pictures. Once I get the frames built I am going to look for a better way to attach to the M19s (i.e. pegs, Ball and socket type grill guides)
FWIW, IME nothing beats industrial Velcro since it only needs a small patch and does a good job of isolation/vibration damping IF the grill cloth is stretched military bed sheet tight or lossy material such as open cell foam.
GM
Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.
Can someone post close-up pictures of the original grill badge used on Model 19? The ones I purchased did not come with badges. How are they attached?
Thanks in advance;
Eric
Bookmarks